Kaliandra is an established foundation and social enterprise set up in 1997 in East Java, Indonesia. Kaliandra is working with local communities to improve their standard of living. It carries out various community development programmes and supports conservation of natural and cultural resources.
Located in a 40 hectare estate on the cool and scenic slopes of Mount Arjuna less than two hours south of Surabaya and an hour from Malang, a small Eco-tourism Resort
and Wellness Retreat
has been set up to support the foundation activities. All profits are used to fund the activities of the Kaliandra Sejati Foundation, thereby strengthening the local communities, protect the natural resources of Mount Arjuna and improve the livelihoods of local people.
Kaliandra manages part of its site as a certificated Organic Farm
, using the fruit and vegetables we grow in our restaurants and selling them in the cities. We also work with the farmers from the villages around us to grow organic produce (also certified) and market the produce for them on a fair-trade basis.
Over the years, Kaliandra has developed a strong reputation. We demonstrate our social responsibility by actively organising community development projects, and by direct involvement in environmental conservation activities to preserve the local ecosystem.
FOUNDATION PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES
- Preservation and conservation of the cultural heritage, natural resources and environment
- To improve the welfare of the local community, by providing them opportunities to improve their income and have more control over their future
- To organise funding and manage community development projects to provide better infrastructure and facilities for the community
- To develop businesses which support the overall philosophy of the Foundation and generate profit, and thereby provide funding for the Foundation's activities on a sustainable basis
- To develop and put in place a strong management team, equipped with professional management skills and practices, with a culture that will support the philosophies and aspirations of the founders